Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Color of love...

The other day, I was headed to lunch with a friend of mine and my younger brother. I always dislike trying to decided where to go and eat. But we finally came to a consensus and headed off to lunch. My buddy was in the car in front of me and we were on our way to eat lunch. Everything was going as planned and we were tracking to lunch, until we saw an unusual sight to our left, there was a lady on the side of the road flailing her arms and yelling, " call 911!" It was a very surreal moment, in which i was not sure as to what i should do. So my buddy in the car in front of me pulled over and i followed suit. I tried to call 911, but my phone is also my ipod so it took me a bit longer, so my buddy called 911. I got out of the car and I noticed what was wrong. An SUV had swerved off the road and hit the side of a building. It did not appear that the car had a chance to apply the breaks, because it hit the building head on, and it was in the building basically. The lady that was screaming was almost hit by the car. So we go over to the car and see how we can help. The scene is a mess. The driver is laid out in the front seat, and it appears that he is having a seizure, the passenger is badly bleeding and trapped in the front seat, and the guy in the rear seat is bleeding as well and is very disoriented. What do you do in that situation? Well you help, that is all you think, let me help. So my brother and i cleaned out the back of the car so that the emergency crews could get to them easier and then when they had the situation under control, we prayed. We knew that the person in control was not the medical crews, but the Lord above. So we prayed. So many fire-trucks came and ambulances, it was a scene from Cops or Rescue 911, for those who have never heard of those shows, they show real life situations. Then I noticed that a lady came to the scene that was apparently related to the guys involved in the crash. I watched her as she took in the whole scene and you could tell that her heart sank in her chest, which i imagine would happen to anyone in a similar situation. I felt let to go and pray with her, so I did. I went and put my arm around her and held her hand and prayed, it was a moment that i felt honored to be a part of. I got to play my part in the story of God. It is so funny how you react to situations, you just do what needs to be done. During this whole time I was helping in this situation, not once did I care what color this people were. Not once did i hesitate to help based on how much money i thought they had. It was a none issue. What if our churches operated in the same way? What if we loved people, because they were people. There is a crazy thought out there in the world that if you are the same color, then you should go to church together. It is funny, because i can not find that verse in my bible. I think the body of Christ is a place for all people. I think worship is a corporate thing based on a living God, not the color of the people or financial situation. Because love has only one color, and that is red. That is the color of the blood shed on the cross for all people, of all walks of life. So we cannot base our love on any color but red, because that is what has set us all free. So let's love like Christ loves, not based on color of skin or rank in society, but because we have been called to love, because he first loved us...

1 comment:

  1. Nick - you are an amazing presence at NorthStar - you have made a great impact on my daughter Jena - she has not missed a middles school camp/event and her faith has grown greatly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my thoughts and reading my blog.

Much love,
Nick and the people.